Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Help, I need someone to talk to!

This is what I heard the other day from a city college student. My intern Jillian and I went to visit the local city college career counseling office to determine what kind of services they had to offer their students. I wanted to see if they would be more helpful in person versus on the phone. I gave my intern an assignment the other day where she had to "cold call" various city colleges to inquire about their career counseling services. Her experience was not a good one. Check out her blog from the other day.

Anyway, we showed around 3:40pm to see what kind of services and help they offered their students and also to let them know about Dream Big Career Center's 3 Step Program to success. As I reached for the door knob, one of the counselors came out and began to lock up (they close at 4pm). I asked if I can have a 5 min conversation with someone just to get a quick overview of what they offered and to share our info with them. As I was asking to speak with someone, a young man approached and asked to speak with a counselor. He said that "the lady told me to show up here after 3:30." The counselor said that there is no one at this time to help him and that he should have come earlier.

He stared to tell her that he had to take time off from work just to come by today and that he could not ask to take more time off. I could hear the concern in his voice and the urgency that he really needed some assistance. The counselor did not budge and continued to tell him that "sorry, come back another time." He glanced at his watch and began to make his way back to the administration building.

After he left in a huff I could see another student making her way toward us. I turned to the counselor and asked if I can speak with someone in charge. She said, "Oh, he's out of town and I'm not sure when he'll be back...sometime in the next 2 weeks." I said, "ok, can I get his card." At this point she yelled into the office and I could hear another voice. The other voice said, "I don't know where his cards are or if he has any."

As they were getting me the information the other student came up to the door, "Hi, can I talk with someone?" The counselor, looking annoyed, said "we're closed and we're booked." The student noticed the office hours and made the comment, "It's not even 4 yet." As she turned and walked away I felt very sorry for the students who make the effort to get some guidance only to be turned away.

I think back on my experience with my guidance counselors and realized that nothing has changed. The same poor quality of services exist now as before. If you are a student reading this, remember that no one will care about your future more than you so you have to make that extra effort to get to where you want to go.

I chose my Dream Big team not only because they are bright and talented individuals but they care about helping people. This is an important and rare attribute. We are your bridge to where you need to go and we want to see you do great things.

If you have been disappointed with your school's services come and talk with us. We are here to help you. Call (818) 992-3113 for assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment